[libnice] Can I use PJSIP and libnice?

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.com
Thu Oct 13 14:46:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

Yes you can use GStreamer & libnice with PJSIP, I've never actually
done it, but I think that all you need to do is to re-implement the
PjMedia interface using GStreamer & libnice. You may even want to use
at Farstream which is a GStreamer clever bin for RTP based conference
and uses libnice. I think there would be quite a bit of interest in the
Open Source world for such a project.

Olivier

On Fri, 2016-09-30 at 20:45 +0000, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho wrote:

> Dear libnice users,
>

> > > Today I'm starting with PJSIP, ICE and STUN, fixing bugs in a project
of a intercom that uses SIP to communicate with remote devices
running softphones.

hardware characteristics, GSTreamer is being used in the same project
to deal with audio and video streams. In this case, socket file
descriptors, defined by PJNATH is passed to the GStreamer.
> > >  So, it is not pjsip that works as a media streamer. Then, we have
ICE and GStreamer concurrent threads using a same socket. It is
causing many problems and then I have just discovered libnice, that
> > has been designed to nice integrate with GStreamer. So, my beginner
questions are:

> > > 1 - Can PJSIP works (integrates) well with libnice, in case I decide
to remove the current ICE and STUN implementations and start using
libnice?

> > > 2 - If yes and if someone here has already implemented such idea,
what should I do? That is, should I remove PJNATH and introduce
libnice in my project or something like that?

> > 3 - It it is possible to work with PJSIP integrated with libnice,
have I to remove PJMEDIA too?

> I have already found
> > > https://nice.freedesktop.org/wiki/ , but before to start reading the
documentation I'm just wondering if there is some special attention
that I have to pay while working with PJSIP and libnice.

> Any hint will be very helpful!
>

> RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
>
> Inatel Competence Center
>
> Software