[libnice] Force an external address (srflx) candidate?

Stuart Marshall stuart at seelye.net
Wed Oct 14 21:22:03 UTC 2020

I’ve been wanting something like this too.

We have a WebRTC server that similarly has a stable external address (which is not easily visible to libnice). The server is never on the same local network as the client. So the whole ICE negotiation dance is slow and includes many wasteful tests.

In contrast, the ICE candidates emitted by Chrome are stunningly few and precise. I understand that the ICE protocols and the libnice implementation were/are meant to be general case. But they miss obvious efficiencies that can be provided by additional external information. STUN servers facilitate some of that additional information, but introduce a dependency and more latency.

My knowledge of libnice internals is not great, but I kind of wish we could

  1.  Feed some particular IP candidate addresses to it,
  2.  Tell it to skip a bunch of other candidate generation and testing
I believe there’s a compilation flag to turn of ipv6, but I haven’t seen other mechanisms to disable some of the candidate generation and testing.

Juan, to further answer your question: we’re using libnice for our server. However, I had to upgrade the libnice to a private build from the tip of libnice master. The default libnice on Ubuntu 18.04 had a bunch of bugs that prevented ICE negotiation from working well. The latest libnice seems to work well (albeit a bit slowly), but you may not be able to use the standard ones that come with your distro. I haven’t checked the version of libnice in Ubuntu 20.04. I think it was updated, but not sure if it has all the recent(ish) bugfixes.

Stuart