[Nouveau] Synchronization mostly missing?

Younes Manton younes.m at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 23:15:51 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Luca Barbieri <luca at luca-barbieri.com> wrote:
>> Can you reproduce this with your vertex buffers in VRAM instead of GART?
>> (to rule out that it's a fencing issue).
>
> Putting the vertex buffers in VRAM makes things almost perfect, but
> still with rare artifacts.
> In particular, the yellow arrow in dinoshade sometimes becames a
> yellow polygon on the floor, which happens almost every frame if I
> move the window around.
> It does fix demos/engine, blender and etracer is almost perfect.
>
> Using my sync patch fixes demos/engine and demos/dinoshade, but still
> leaves artifacts in blender when moving the rectangle and artifacts in
> etracer.
>
> Putting the vertex buffers in VRAM _AND_ adding my sync patch makes
> things perfect on my system.
>
> Using sync + a delay loop before drawing makes things better but still
> problematic.
>
> Also note that both adding wbinvd in the kernel at the start of push
> buffer submission, running with "nopat" and synchronizing with the
> current fence in the kernel had no effect on demos/engine artifacts.
>
> Preventing loading of intel_agp did not seem to have any effect either
> (but strangely, it still listed the aperture size, not sure what's up
> there).
>
> The last test I tried was, all together:
> 1. My nv40_sync patch
> 2. 3 wbinvd followed by spinning 10000 times in the kernel at the
> start of pushbuffer validation
> 3. Adding
> BEGIN_RING(curie, NV40TCL_VTX_CACHE_INVALIDATE, 1);
> OUT_RING(0);
> before and after draw_elements and draw_arrays
> 4. Removing intel_agp
>
> The logo on etracer's splash screen still, on some frames, flickered.
> Only putting vertex buffers in VRAM fixed that.
>
> I'm not really sure what is happening there.
>
> It seems that there is the lack of synchronization plus some other problem.
>
> Maybe there is indeed an on-GPU cache for AGP/PCI memory which isn't
> getting flushed.
> Maybe NV40TCL_VTX_CACHE_INVALIDATE should be used but not in the way I did.
> I couldn't find it in renouveau traces, who did reverse engineer that?
> What does that do?
>
> Also, what happens when I remove intel_agp? Does it use PCI DMA?
>
> BTW, it seems to me that adding the fencing mechanism I described is
> necessary even if the vertices are read before the FIFO continues,
> since rendering is not completed and currently I don't see anything
> preventing TTM from, for instance, evicting the render buffer while it
> is being rendered to.

It's my understanding that once the FIFO get reg is past a certain
point all previous commands are guaranteed to be finished, which is
what our fencing is based on. I think we would all have corruption
issues if this wasn't the case. You can see that the FIFO get ptr
stops advancing after long running draw commands are submitted, and
the video decoder FIFO works similarly as well when the HW is lagging.

Anyhow, another person with a GF7 had the same problem and putting
vertex buffers in VRAM also improved things for him, so it could be a
hardware bug/quirk for some/all GF7s. We don't do it in general
because it's slower, but as a temporary workaround we can do that for
GF7 NV40s I guess. It likely also doesn't happen with immediate mode
vertex submission, which will be implemented sooner or later. I can't
reproduce it on my GF6 and I don't think anyone else has either.