[Nouveau] Synchronization mostly missing?

Christoph Bumiller e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 28 03:53:18 PST 2009

On 12/28/2009 08:15 AM, Younes Manton wrote:
> [...]
>> In particular, the yellow arrow in dinoshade sometimes becames a
>> yellow polygon on the floor, which happens almost every frame if I
>> move the window around.
>> It does fix demos/engine, blender and etracer is almost perfect.
>>
>> Using my sync patch fixes demos/engine and demos/dinoshade, but still
>> leaves artifacts in blender when moving the rectangle and artifacts in
>> etracer.
>>
>> Putting the vertex buffers in VRAM _AND_ adding my sync patch makes
>> things perfect on my system.
>>
>> Using sync + a delay loop before drawing makes things better but still
>> problematic.
>>
>> Also note that both adding wbinvd in the kernel at the start of push
>> buffer submission, running with "nopat" and synchronizing with the
>> current fence in the kernel had no effect on demos/engine artifacts.
>>
>> Preventing loading of intel_agp did not seem to have any effect either
>> (but strangely, it still listed the aperture size, not sure what's up
>> there).
>>
>> The last test I tried was, all together:
>> 1. My nv40_sync patch
>> 2. 3 wbinvd followed by spinning 10000 times in the kernel at the
>> start of pushbuffer validation
>> 3. Adding
>> BEGIN_RING(curie, NV40TCL_VTX_CACHE_INVALIDATE, 1);
>> OUT_RING(0);
>> before and after draw_elements and draw_arrays
>> 4. Removing intel_agp
>>
>> The logo on etracer's splash screen still, on some frames, flickered.
>> Only putting vertex buffers in VRAM fixed that.
>>
>> I'm not really sure what is happening there.
>>
>> It seems that there is the lack of synchronization plus some other problem.
>>
>> Maybe there is indeed an on-GPU cache for AGP/PCI memory which isn't
>> getting flushed.
>> Maybe NV40TCL_VTX_CACHE_INVALIDATE should be used but not in the way I did.
>> I couldn't find it in renouveau traces, who did reverse engineer that?
>> What does that do?
>>
>> Also, what happens when I remove intel_agp? Does it use PCI DMA?
>>
>> BTW, it seems to me that adding the fencing mechanism I described is
>> necessary even if the vertices are read before the FIFO continues,
>> since rendering is not completed and currently I don't see anything
>> preventing TTM from, for instance, evicting the render buffer while it
>> is being rendered to.
>
> It's my understanding that once the FIFO get reg is past a certain
> point all previous commands are guaranteed to be finished, which is
> what our fencing is based on. I think we would all have corruption
> issues if this wasn't the case. You can see that the FIFO get ptr
> stops advancing after long running draw commands are submitted, and
> the video decoder FIFO works similarly as well when the HW is lagging.
>
> Anyhow, another person with a GF7 had the same problem and putting
> vertex buffers in VRAM also improved things for him, so it could be a
> hardware bug/quirk for some/all GF7s. We don't do it in general
It's probably not a card specific quirk, nv50 also has this kind of
problem.

It used to occur heavily when mesa uses user buffers that were copied
/ promoted to a GART buffers just for one rendering call and then
immediately destroyed.
Sleeping, flushing, WBINVD didn't help, so I unfortunately decided to
go the easy route ...

Since I moved to immediate mode submission (which is also *A LOT*
faster in such cases + blob does it too; putting VBOs to VRAM was
expectedly not helping and also really slow), it works fine.

Almost.
Some apps (e.g. tuxracer, ut2004demo) *still* show corrupted vertices
sometimes even if they come from the FIFO, which is kind of odd.
I have to investigate why that happens further though, and it might
have a totally unrelated reason.

Christoph