[Nouveau] GeForce GTS 250M: no acceleration...

Marcin Kościelnicki koriakin at 0x04.net
Thu Apr 1 14:19:30 PDT 2010

> Anyway, I was porting the hard disk from my previous laptop, which had
> an older Nvidia card that works quite OK with both Nouveau and
> Gallium.  On this machine, the card is recognized, but I get this
> message:
>
> [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: I don't know how to make a ctxprog for your
> NVa3 card. [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Disabling acceleration. Please
> contact the devs.
>
> I tracked the point in the driver where this message is generated, in
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nv50_grctx.c
>
> and I tried, for the sake of it, just to add the relative
>
> case 0xa3:
>
> line in init, where detection had stopped. Boot was OK, the 'disabling
> acceleration' line disappeared. and the framebuffer was
> perfect. Indeed, X started, but in a very funny sort of way. Part of
> the drawing would not take place - for example, no characters were to
> be seen, and icons were strangely duplicated. Window proportions and
> background colors were correct. It looks like some more
> work is required to support this specific card. If you need photos, I
> cam make them.

Guess what, if adding 0xa3 that to that switch was enough to support stuff, I
wouldn't make that damned switch in the first place...

I coded up NVA3 support already, but the original NVA3 owner who gave me
necessary dumps disappeared without a trace. Here:

http://0x04.net/~mwk/0001-drm-nv50-Add-NVA3-support-in-ctxprog-ctxvals-
generat.patch

Please test. If it works for you, we'll push it to master.

Marcin Kościelnicki