[Nouveau] Testing

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Sun Mar 27 08:49:58 PDT 2011

Le 27/03/2011 16:54, Martin Owens a écrit :
> On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 05:37 +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't understand what you speak about. Does these questions
>> apply to nouveau in any way?
>
> Yes, they do.
Then I guess that you are speaking about the Phoronix Test Suite.

If I am right, you could post your questions in the relevant forum:
http://phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?49-Phoronix-Test-Suite

I never used it myself thus I can't answer about the scope of the tests

Anyhow, IMHO your question:
"1) What proportion of functionality is covered by 100% automated tests?"
would only make sense if there would exist a comprehensive list of
functional and/or performance requirements for Nouveau in general and/or
a specific GPU, which I very much doubt.

Moreover, would this be the case you should insure in addition
that all requirements be testable.

About your question:
"2) What danger is presented to users who run tests?"
I can see two dangers:
a) loose your time - Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)
b) burn your GPU => machine => house because of an overheating.

Of course, as stated in http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers:
"OpenGL applications that work at first may crash sooner or later.
  Some applications may crash X itself or hang the GPU."

But I don't see this as a danger, unless you do your test on
critical production machine. Let's quote the following sentence
on the same web page:
"You should be prepared to face issues, and be able to recover from them yourself.
  If the GPU hangs, you can either reboot or suspend (see LockupRecovery)."

Not sure I really answer your questions, HTH anyway.

Didier