[Nouveau] hang with GeForce 8700M GT

John Burrell john_burrell at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 11:29:25 PDT 2012

graphics card: GeForce 8700M GT

Nouveau installed as per  /wiki/installNouveau so kernel is 3.5.0-rc5+

When I type startx, the screen cycles endlessly through red, green, blue and white.

Only Alt+sysRQ+b works. Everything else is dead.

I've enclosed Xorg.0.log. I couldn't attach dmesg as well because it would exceed 100 KB.
I can post it if requested.

I've asked on LFS support but the suggestions did not solve the problem.
One suggestion was that there is a fault with the graphics card but it works okay with the host
(Ubuntu 12.04 LTS).

This is my first time trying nouveau so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

jb.