[Nouveau] Resource map sanity check fails after GRUB "keeps" the gfx mode

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 07:47:29 PDT 2013

Hi Pavel

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:
> Quoting David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com>:
>
>> I am aware of this and there is already a fix pending from 2 weeks
>> ago. Unfortunately, I have been in the US for the last 2 weeks and
>> haven't really been able to push on that. Anyhow, it should really be
>> just a cosmetic issue. We need to mark the sysfb FB as busy to avoid
>> the nasty warnings. Other than that, this shouldn't cause any issues.
>

> OK, you are the one who must be better aware of the whole picture, so if the
> intention is to make the resource busy, that's my first patch and whatever
> you are trying to push.
>
> You still may want to have a look at my second patch that widens the
> resource to match an appropriate PCI BAR.
>
> I'm too puzzled why the resource conflict warning causes a GPU lockup for
> another user.  Maybe it's an unrelated issue.  Also, I don't use UEFI.  I
> plan to test it eventually if I figure out how to migrate to it without
> reinstalling everything.

Thanks for your investigations. I finally sent my patch and put you on
CC. Sorry for the delay, but I have mostly catched up with all emails
now.

This really just suppresses the warning and nothing else. It does not
fix any lockup/crash/... And your PCI-BAR adjustment doesn't change
anything either, sorry. There is no reason to size the resource
according to PCI tables as it is totally fine to remap partial
segments. resource management is only used for sanity checks and
bookkeeping. If there are real bugs (other than just "Your kernel is
fine." warnings) then we need to bisect them.

Let me know if there are still related issues. I will gladly try to
resolve them.
Thanks!
David