[Nouveau] videowall

Christian Stöveken christian.stoeveken at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 17:18:55 PST 2014

So I had this crazy idea to put together a cheap video
wall<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GNJ97iKoU3Y/UumgZ62KESI/AAAAAAAAa8Y/t07wL1D7Tmk/w931-h698-no/IMG_20140125_210754.jpg>
in
my local hackerspace using
a lot of screens suffering from planned obsolescence or at least a poor
choice in their used caps
and cheap - used Nvidia NVS 440 cards.

During evaluation of Win 7/8 I noticed there was an 8 gpu OS limit that I
didn't know of before.
I also ran into that limt using the proprietary nvidia driver on Linux.

So now I'm trying to see how far nouveau is in regards to "multiple" gpu's
and
after 3 evenigs of fiddling with mostly xorg.conf I just got the first 4
gpu's / 8 displays working.

I'm stuck on the 3rd card / gpu 5+6 / monitors 9-12.

Without spending another few evenings I thought I might check in with you
guys first whether
you think it's possible driving a 6400x4096 video wall with nouveau
and 5 Nvidia NVS 440 cards (NV43) (10 gpus with dual head) - if not I might
be willing to donate
the cards for development if someone is interested.

Best Regards,
Christian