[Nouveau] Problem with GTX 970 under Fedora 21

Tobias Klausmann tobias.johannes.klausmann at mni.thm.de
Mon Jan 26 12:11:25 PST 2015

On 25.01.2015 21:40, super_7b wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I took this issue to the Fedora forum initially, but no-one there has
> been able to offer any guidance, so I have decided to come to the
> nouveau community directly.
>
> I was running a KDE desktop under Fedora 21 successfully, including
> the ability to use a direct text login on an older card (GXT 560 Ti)
> with an entirely stock Fedora, fully updated.
>
> I simply replaced the old card with an Asus GTX 970 and re-booted.
>
> I run with the "rhgb quiet" option removed from grub2, so I can see
> all that happens up to the graphical login screen and I noticed that
> the re-boot was different at the point at which the screen changed
> from a basic (80x25 ?) text to a higher resolution (128X50 ?). This no
> longer happened and I got a simple blank screen.
>
> If I wait, the graphical boot screen eventually appears and I can
> login to KDE successfully and run my desktop apps as normal. If I
> switch consoles (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) for a text login, I get a black
> screen.
>
> The last visible thing on my boot screen before the black is something
> like "fb: switching to nouveaufb from EFI VGA".
>
> When I looked at the dmesg output, lsmod and lshw, it appears that the
> nouveau driver does not correctly detect and initialise the GTX 970.
>
> Have I a configuration error, or is there something not working in
> nouveau?
>
> I attach logs from dmesg, lshw and lsmod and I can supply more data if
> needed.
>
> BR
>
> Mick

Hi,
the 9xx series is rather new and is not supported by nouveau for now
(modesetting is in 3.19rcX imho). Concerning acceleration: Nvidia needs
to provide signed firmwares for those cards under a license appropriate
to include in an open source project, until that happens, there wont be
substantial improvements.

Greetings
Tobias