[Nouveau] Problem with GTX 970 under Fedora 21

super_7b super_7b at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 14:34:44 PST 2015

On 26/01/15 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:

> On 25.01.2015 21:40, super_7b wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I took this issue to the Fedora forum initially, but no-one there has
>> been able to offer any guidance, so I have decided to come to the
>> nouveau community directly.
>>
>> I was running a KDE desktop under Fedora 21 successfully, including
>> the ability to use a direct text login on an older card (GXT 560 Ti)
>> with an entirely stock Fedora, fully updated.
>>
>> I simply replaced the old card with an Asus GTX 970 and re-booted.
>>
>> I run with the "rhgb quiet" option removed from grub2, so I can see
>> all that happens up to the graphical login screen and I noticed that
>> the re-boot was different at the point at which the screen changed
>> from a basic (80x25 ?) text to a higher resolution (128X50 ?). This no
>> longer happened and I got a simple blank screen.
>>
>> If I wait, the graphical boot screen eventually appears and I can
>> login to KDE successfully and run my desktop apps as normal. If I
>> switch consoles (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) for a text login, I get a black
>> screen.
>>
>> The last visible thing on my boot screen before the black is something
>> like "fb: switching to nouveaufb from EFI VGA".
>>
>> When I looked at the dmesg output, lsmod and lshw, it appears that the
>> nouveau driver does not correctly detect and initialise the GTX 970.
>>
>> Have I a configuration error, or is there something not working in
>> nouveau?
>>
>> I attach logs from dmesg, lshw and lsmod and I can supply more data if
>> needed.
>>
>> BR
>>
>> Mick
>>

> Hi,
> the 9xx series is rather new and is not supported by nouveau for now
> (modesetting is in 3.19rcX imho). Concerning acceleration: Nvidia needs
> to provide signed firmwares for those cards under a license appropriate
> to include in an open source project, until that happens, there wont be
> substantial improvements.
>
> Greetings
> Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the reply. Acceleration is not an issue, but no support for
text mode is, 8^(.

Does your remark about 3.19rcX refer to kernel 3.19? I just ran the
Fedora updates and it has installed 3.18.3-201. If I need to wait for
3.19, I guess I need to be patient for a while longer.

I am assuming that 3.19 will bring text support and basic graphics?

BR

Mick