[Nouveau] Hardware wish list?

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 20 16:00:37 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings Nouveau developers,
>
> It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
> Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
> back,

That's certainly a funny way of putting it. If that were true, I'd
imagine that there would be tons of people looking to contribute to
the project. But that doesn't seem to be the present reality.

There are plenty of areas where nouveau is lacking... are there any in
particular that you think need special attention? Note that things
like "reclocking" are highly unlikely to happen without a considerable
source of funds, as it would require a fairly long-term effort from a
highly skilled developer. [And it's all moot once you get to Maxwell,
since we're locked out of touching any of that stuff by signed code.
With some luck NVIDIA will make firmware available for desktop GPUs,
but I'm not holding my breath.]

> and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
> list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
> do.

Unfortunately the most precious resource is human time, not hardware.
If you're hoping to contribute to nouveau's improvement (and aren't
looking to do so directly by making code contributions), your time is
probably best spent drumming up developer interest in contributing.

Cheers,

  -ilia