[Nouveau] help with signal from monitor

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 14:19:22 PST 2016

On 01/26/2016 02:40 PM, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> What you're asking for isn't particularly clear... when DPMS is
> enabled, instead of suspending the monitor says "no signal" as if it
> had been unplugged? Or is something else going on? Then you talk about
> passing signals "up the chain" and "filtering"? What signals? What
> chain?
>
> Can you rephrase your question?
>
>    -ilia
>

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM, don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have an Alienware laptop that has Nvidia GTX 880M hardware driven by this
>> driver. I recently purchased an ASUS_VN289H monitor. When my system gives a
>> blanking command, the monitor returns some sort of lost signal message which
>> causes the monitor to unblank and the time out I requested is cancelled.
>> This is probably more of an HDMI question than specific to this hardware,
>> but I was wondering if there was any way to control what signals generated
>> buy the monitor are passed up the chain, and if they can be filtered. I also
>> have an ACER monitor that does not do this.
>>
>> Sorry if this is off topic for this list. Any pointer would be appreciated.
>>
>> Don

I am running under openSuse, but trying to avoid most of the GUIs. I
cannot get xset to blank the screen, so I added consoleblank=600 in the
grub file to be added to the kernel command line. The system blanks
after 10 minutes, as expected. The monitor then displays "HDMI/MHL-1 NO
SIGNAL", the monitor blanks, prints another message that says nothing
and the monitor is unblanked. I believe that the monitor is sending some
sort of "NO SIGNAL" message back to the system, which interprets it to
mean send the video signal again. I assumed that there was a message
sent by the monitor, interpreted by the driver, and some signal was sent
to the OS to unblank the monitor. I know no more than this, except that
another user on the openSuse lists posted a similar complaint relating
to an ASUS monitor.

Don