[Nouveau] xf86-video-nouveau and NVIDIA Drivers

Alan Casson alcasson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 00:34:07 UTC 2016

OS= Arch Linux
GPU= Nvidia Geforce GT-630
Graphics Driver= nvidia 367.27-1 (current)
Platform= Desktop Custom Build (AMD FX-6300 and GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo; 16
GB RAM)

~ one year ago, I was having problems with my display. The nvidia
graphics driver and dependencies (libvdpau, nvidia-libgl,
nvidia-settings, and nvidia-utils) had been installed during the initial
OS build. On the road to remedy, I found that using the
xf86-video-nouveau 2D accel driver in conjunction with the nvidia driver
proved to be the answer. I've used this combination on more than one
machine since that time, without problems. (Nothing is blacklisted.)

Recently, a number of people have arisen questioning the validity of the
combo. Hence, I ask, is the nouveau driver of any real value in this
scenario? Or am I just lucky?

Thanks.

All the best,

Alan C