[Nouveau] HP Zbook17 Dock and UEFI conflict with GK107GLM aka Quadro K1100M

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 2 22:54:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> wrote:
> On 02/02/2017 05:01 PM, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>
>> Note that a lot of this stuff has been redone for kernel 4.10 to
>> conform to atomic modesetting. I wouldn't be surprised if that
>> jiggers things around enough to fix your issue. But perhaps not.
>> Worth a shot. [As an aside, this would also enable more reliable
>> reclocking for your GPU, so not a bad upgrade to make in any case.]
>
> I saw the reclocking improvements.  I'm sure I'll enjoy them, but it'll
> have to wait a bit.  This is my primary work machine and I can't afford
> to lose a day here and there cleaning up after a vanilla RC smashing my
> filesystems.  Applying a nouveau patch series onto a stable base is
> sufficiently low risk.
>
> TBH, I was hoping someone would see the odd "Disp" output and pop in
> with an "I know what that is."  /-:

OK, I'm pretty sure this is from gf119_disp_intr_error:

drm/nouveau/nvkm/engine/disp/gf119.c:
nv50_disp_chan_mthd(disp->chan[chid], NV_DBG_ERROR);

However what's odd is that preceding this line, there should have been a

        nvkm_error(subdev, "chid %d mthd %04x data %08x %08x %08x\n",
                   chid, (mthd & 0x0000ffc), data, mthd, unkn);

which isn't displayed. Furthermore, your logs appear to be missing
some fairly common prints. Did you mess with CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG*
symbols by any chance? Aha:

CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG=5
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_DEFAULT=2

You should adjust the default to 3 (info). And perhaps for the purpose
of this exercise, it might even be worth booting with
nouveau.debug=debug to hopefully get a bit more info about what's
going on.

Cheers,

  -ilia