[Nouveau] GSOC project

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 17 21:28:20 UTC 2017

There's not a lot of information about it. Basically we need 2 instruction
scheduling passes -- one pre-RA and one post-RA. The prerequisites are
"know how compilers work" and "have a GPU that you can test performance on".

I won't beat around the bush - this is a very tough project. Every attempt
at it so far has basically failed. There are a lot of issues that have to
be dealt with, like how to properly get the instruction latency
information, and how to apply it while taking ideas like register pressure
into account.

You can read up on the nouveau codegen compiler here:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/gallium/drivers/nouveau/codegen/

Cheers,

  -ilia