[Nouveau] GSOC project

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 19 16:49:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Shailesh Tripathi <
shailesh.tripathi.ece13 at itbhu.ac.in> wrote:

> Hello,
> Even I think it would be a very big project for just 3 months, but it
> would be fun learning and developing this. I feel I have the required
> skills and would like to learn more for this. I have just one doubt
> regarding the GPU required for the task. Will a normal NVIDIA GT 740m would
> be enough or we need better GPUs like Tesla or Quadro? In the latter case
> how can one proceed in case of its unavailability?

Any NVIDIA GPU that's presently supported by nouveau should be sufficient.
The GT 740M should be fine, but definitely test it out with nouveau first
to make sure that you can get it to work OK.

What kind of pre-existing compiler experience do you have? Do you have
concrete ideas on tackling this problem? As part of the GSoC application
you'll have to come up with a development plan, and find a mentor (who
ostensibly has to believe that you'll have a good chance of completing such
a project).

Cheers,

  -ilia