[Nouveau] missing firmware report

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 00:35:59 UTC 2018

I just built a linux-4.18.7 kernel from kernel.org for opensuse linux
42.3. When I issued the command "sudo make modules_install install" I
received a series of error messages:
dracut: Possible missing firmware "nvidia/gv100/sec2/sig.bin" for kernel
module "nouveau.ko"
dracut: Possible missing firmware "nvidia/gv100/sec2/image.bin" for
kernel module "nouveau.ko"

21 of these messages in all. Where does one get the nvidia gv100
firmware? I have firmware from opensuse in /lib/firmware, but there is
no entry for gv100. My card is listed as a NVIDIA GP106M [GeForce GTX
1060 Mobile], and I do not know if not having the gv100 firmware is a
problem.

The kernel did crash trying to load the X system, so since I received
these warnings it was my first place to look. Should the kernel form
kernel.org build and execute? My system is an Alienware 13 3.

Don