[Nouveau] Google's Chrome Team might Blacklist Nouveau on Chromium

Roy Spliet nouveau at spliet.org
Wed Sep 26 10:52:33 UTC 2018

I don't think any nouveau dev would disagree with the choice for a
software rendered browser over an unreliable browser. Insofar I still
count as a nouveau dev, I'll back this decision because it benefits user
experience.
What is disappointing though is that when I perform a search on our bug
tracker (see [0] and [1]), I find precisely _one_ relevant bug. Shame on
us for not following up on that one, but shame on the Chrome developers
to decide they'd rather blacklist a driver than publicly* reach out and
ask what's going on. Blacklisting 3D rendering on nouveau isn't going to
fix nouveau, it's a short-term improvement with no long term prospect.

On 26/09/18 11:25, Megaf wrote:
> Well, I agree with them.
> Nouveau is extremely unstable on my MacBook Pro with Nvidia 320M,
> freezing all the time and draining a lot of battery.
> Performance wise is not too bad tho.
> There's plenty of reported bugs already around the web if someone
> wants to investigate it.
Don't take this as personal criticism, I really appreciate the fact that
you reach out and bring this to our attention. What I do wish to point
out to anyone is that there are too many projects with too many bug
trackers out there to track all of them. In reality nouveau devs monitor
the nouveau bugtracker [2], and if you're lucky the tracker of their
favourite distro. I don't believe it's feasible to expect driver devs to
track more - we're already grossly under"staffed". Sure, Chrome is a
popular piece of software, but so is Firefox, LibreOffice, VirtualBox,
Wine, Dolphin, Gnome Shell etc. etc... So my advice to anyone: if you
want bugs actually fixed in nouveau, do your civil duty and file them in
the nouveau bugtracker.

Roy

[0]
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&component=Driver%2Fnouveau&product=xorg&query_format=advanced&short_desc=chrome&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr
[1]
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&component=Drivers%2FDRI%2Fnouveau&product=Mesa&query_format=advanced&short_desc=chrome&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr
[2] https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Bugs/

* I'm aware that a sizeable portion of the workforce behind nouveau is
currently employed by Red Hat. What happens behind their scenes is
unknown to me and other contributors...