[Nouveau] Question on interoperability with Nouveau

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 13 14:15:37 UTC 2019

This is done with a sequence of blits, from level 0 -> level 1, then
level 1 -> level 2, etc. st/mesa has a helper which will call the
gallium driver's blit method with the appropriate parameters.

Internally, assuming there's nothing too funky going on, we'll use the
2d blit logic (class 0x902d). If the 3d logic is invoked, it's a
simple shader that textures the source and produces the output. We do
use some funky settings when invoking that shader though -- most
likely thing that you might not have implemented in your emulator is
that we disable VIEWPORT_TRANSFORM_EN, so the coordinates produced by
the vertex shader are non-normalized. We also use enormous coordinates
to draw a single triangle that will cover any possible fb size.

This is the full blit function:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/gallium/drivers/nouveau/nvc0/nvc0_surface.c#n1573

The 2d case is handled by nvc0_blit_eng2d, while 3d is handled by
nvc0_blit_3d. The 3d case sets up the rasterizer for the expectations
of the vert and frag shaders, then sticks some data into a cpu-mapped
VBO, and executes it.

Don't worry about the actual shader contents -- they're entirely
unsurprising. But if you're really interested, the fp shader is
generated in nv50/nv50_surface.c.

Hope this helps,

  -ilia