[Nouveau] System freeze: Debian Testing with C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a]

riveravaldez riveravaldezmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:03:43 UTC 2020

On 12/11/18, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:16 AM riveravaldez
> <riveravaldezmail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The freezes appears randomly, in every situation, and not when I
>> launch some 3D applications or anything similar.
>
> Try removing nouveau_dri.so -- that will ensure no 3d accel is used,
> while keeping your 2d accel provided by the nouveau ddx.

Sorry if it's wrong to continue this old thread, but after a good
amount of testing (+1 year) I can confirm that both the problem and
the solution where the mentioned ones.

The problem (random full-system freezes) persists without change,
identical. And removing nouveau_dri.so from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/ effectively fixes it completely
(leaving aside any lost of performance and some warning messages in
system upgrades and programs launching[1]).

So, after a GREAT thank-you to Ilia, I consult:

1. Is this something that could be fixed? Can I do anything to help?

2. If the only possible/viable solution is the mentioned one (remove
nouveau_dri.so), which would be the proper way to make it permanent?

2'. In many dist-upgrades the nouveau_dri.so file is re-created in the
same folder, what would be a clean/neat way to handle this?

Thanks A LOT again.

[1] A lot of lines like these on some dist-upgrades:

W: Possible missing firmware
/lib/firmware/nvidia/gp100/gr/sw_method_init.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware
/lib/firmware/nvidia/gp100/gr/sw_bundle_init.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware
/lib/firmware/nvidia/gp100/gr/sw_nonctx.bin for module nouveau
(...)

And a lot of programs producing messages like these on start:

libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau