[ohm] OHM vs. PPM

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun May 4 10:07:11 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Holger Macht <holger at homac.de> wrote:
> On Sa 03. Mai - 15:28:44, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
>  > For the OHM vs GNOME Power Manager, I'd rather let Richard explain
>  > since he wrote those two, certainly with different designs in mind.
>
>  Right, the initial approach for OHM was to be system level because it
>  should also handle multiple session issues. And I don't see how this can
>  work if OHM itself would be part of a desktop session. I just wonder where
>  the request making OHM per session actually came from...

I wrote OHM in a few days to show a simple project that could be used
system wide for the nokia tablets or the OLPC laptop - it just wasn't
designed to be per-session like you guys are suggesting. Being blunt,
the session use-case is already being served by kpowersave,
gnome-power-manager and guidance-power-manager, so I really see OHM
fitting in system wide for the niche cases, not session wide for a
generic desktop.

For the embedded or server user case, a session wide daemon just
doesn't make sense IMO.

Richard.