[Openchrome-devel] release 0.2.902 this week-end ?

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Wed Mar 12 06:25:28 PDT 2008

Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> The AGPDMA issue consists of either screen repaint trouble or
> machine crash on K8M800 and VM800. It seems to be related to
> kernel and not to openchrome. According to reports, 2.6.20 is
> fine, 2.6.23 is not.

The commenter on http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/145 ,
<rikz at yandex.ru>, has been mailing me privately, saying that he
hasn't found a working kernel, going as far back as 2.6.19, and
that he would soon try downgrading to xorg 1.3.  I've urged him to
post his findings to the openchrome-user mailing list, but he
continues to think that negative findings are no findings at all.

> Given this, I'd want to revert corresponding part of changeset
> 527 : http://openchrome.org/trac/changeset/527

The disabling does not do any harm, and it does appear to prevent
screen corruption and lockups on the affected chipsets.  Both of
those are _very_ annoying events, and should be prevented at all
costs.  There are few things more frustrating than rebooting after
a system update and getting only a black screen or seeing the
desktop slowly fall apart under your eyes.  When I first started to
use the via driver, it took me a whole month to find out that
off-screen pixmaps had to be disabled in order to stop corruption
of the background.  It would have been great if Suse had disabled
that by default.

Benno