[Openchrome-devel] release 0.2.902 this week-end ?

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Wed Mar 12 14:34:27 PDT 2008

Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/145 ,
>
> Another commenter said it was ok for him with 2.6.20, but not ok
> anymore with 2.6.23.

An anonymous commenter -- we can't ask him to prove it or give more
information.  He might not know what he's doing, or he might even
be pissing us off on purpose.

> > The disabling does not do any harm, and it does appear to
> > prevent screen corruption and lockups on the affected chipsets.
>
> There are some performances penalties.

Performance comes a distant third after: 1) it _must boot, and 2) it
must not corrupt a normal desktop.

> imho, this is just sweeping bugs under the carpet.

Yes, it's swept under the carpet.  But why make users fall over the
bug and get incredibly frustrated?  They tend to not file carefully
thought-out bug reports but instead shout angrily about why people
leave such a damn block of stone in the middle of the room.

> And there are not even our bugs...

Unsure.  It may be changes in X, in drm, or in the kernel that
trigger an openchrome driver bug.

> If no one see the bug, there's no chance for it to be fixed.

We know about the bug.  More people experiencing it and suffering
from it won't increase the chances of it getting fixed.  Only
people that read the manual and the mailing lists, and then try to
enable AGP DMA, and then experience the problem, are likely to come
up with useful information.

Regards,

Benno