[Openchrome-devel] Some HW related questions to VIA:

Thomas Hellström thomas
Sun Nov 9 06:34:34 PST 2008

Hi, all

I've got a couple of questions to the VIA engineers. Both VX800 related
and some related to older hardware:

1) There seems to be no pixel shader language documentation with the
VX800 docs. Is that something you can release?
2) The VX800 memory types, and how they are programmed. There seems to
be Local memory which corresponds to VRAM / FB and set up by the bios.
Also local dynamic memory which seems to be similar to the old AGP
memory. Is there an aperture to program for this memory or another type
of  GPU  memory management unit?  Any docs / help on this?
3) PM800 / KM400 /K8M800 Some of these chipsets do not seem able to map
the framebuffer memory directly which leads to very slow CPU access
(about 60MB/s or so). On the K8M800 it's possible to figure out how and
map system memory directly, but it appears like this is not possible on
the other listed chipsets. Any workaround?
4) K8M800 / KM400. Interrupts seem broken, if they are enabled, the
device keeps firing a HUGE amount of interrupts. Any workarounds?
5) K8M800 Texturing minification filtering LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR locks
the device up. A workaround is to use LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST at the
expense of image quality. Is this a known problem? Any better workarounds?
6) On my P4M890 with dual DDR533 memory,  using the 3D engine causes
video display controller FIFO underruns. Do we need to change FIFO
settings when the 3D engine is running?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Thomas Hellstr?m.