[Openchrome-devel] Todo list

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu Nov 20 06:07:59 PST 2008

Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>> Unfortunately, this is a big issue. I've been harassing Bruce with
>> this for some time now. VIA doesn't want to release the hardware
>> documentation, even under NDA, and even less any code, because they
>> fear to breach their agreement with MPEG-LA. MPEG-LA is not answering
>> to VIA questions on the matter. Last I heard, Harald was looking for a
>> lawyer to clear this legal minefield.
>>
> so should we make a concerted effort at reverse engineering again?
> or do we think that would be counter productive?

Depends on the chance we have to see the docs in a relatively short
timeframe. Only VIA can answer this, and they depend on MPEG-LA will to
collaborate (or not). Maybe Harald can update us on what's going on
currently between VIA and MPEG-LA ?

A RE effort would be counter productive only if VIA sees it as an
hostile move. imho, I don't think it would be the case. Only MPEG-LA
have something to loose here, VIA can only benefit from the RE.

Cheers,
Xavier