[Openchrome-devel] MPEG-LA / Re: Todo list

Harald Welte HaraldWelte
Thu Nov 20 07:15:58 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:07:59PM +0100, Xavier Bachelot wrote:

> Depends on the chance we have to see the docs in a relatively short
> timeframe. Only VIA can answer this, and they depend on MPEG-LA will to
> collaborate (or not). Maybe Harald can update us on what's going on
> currently between VIA and MPEG-LA ?

Unfortunately there is no visible result yet.  Bruce has been trying to get
a response from the MPEG-LA directly, while I've been talking with some
differnt lawyers.  I hope I can clarify tomorrow if VIA wants to pay for an
independent legal study on this subject.

> A RE effort would be counter productive only if VIA sees it as an
> hostile move. imho, I don't think it would be the case. Only MPEG-LA
> have something to loose here, VIA can only benefit from the RE.

I don't think VIA would see this as a hostile move.  As long as the drivers
that VIA officially distributes do not have code resulting from the reverse
engineering, I don't see any way how this could be harmful.  VIA cannot
be responsible for what people do with its hardware - including reverse
engineering.  So no legal issue here.

--
- Harald Welte <HaraldWelte at viatech.com>	    http://linux.via.com.tw/