[Openchrome-devel] MPEG-4 acceleration on VX800

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Wed Apr 8 05:04:08 PDT 2009

jose.goncalves at inov.pt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen on the wiki that MPEG-4 acceleration for Chrome9 HC3 graphics
> core is in the TODO list.
> I would like to know what is holding the development for this support.
> Availability of VIA's documentation on MPEG engine?
> Other (more) priority features and/or not enough resources for development?

All 3, unfortunately.
We'll likely never have any mpeg engine docs from VIA, because of
possible patent infringement issue, which means reverse engineering is
the only solution.
MPEG4 support is rather low on the todo list, because the CPU gain is
posssibly not very interesting (at least on chips up to CX700) and also
because XvMC acceleration need a  working DRM/DRI framework for Chrome9
chips. This would need to be tackled first.
And last but not least, there is a manpower shortage.

Regards,
Xavier