[Openchrome-devel] MPEG-4 acceleration on VX800

Stephan Raue stephan.raue
Wed Apr 8 13:51:05 PDT 2009

Am 08.04.2009 14:04, schrieb Xavier Bachelot:
> jose.goncalves at inov.pt  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've seen on the wiki that MPEG-4 acceleration for Chrome9 HC3 graphics
>> core is in the TODO list.
>> I would like to know what is holding the development for this support.
>> Availability of VIA's documentation on MPEG engine?
>> Other (more) priority features and/or not enough resources for development?
>>

> All 3, unfortunately.
> We'll likely never have any mpeg engine docs from VIA, because of
> possible patent infringement issue, which means reverse engineering is
> the only solution.

can VIA not release an binary only firmware for the various chipsets
(dir /lib/firmware) like other drivers for mpeg support to load with
opensource drivers? VIA releases binary drivers for ubuntu, suse,
windows so its cannot be a license problem to release an binary only
firmware that supports by glibc, uClibc and so on... have anyone contact
to VIA developers?

Stephan

--
               ### OpenELEC.tv ###
The free and open Mediacenter Distribution 4 you