[Openchrome-devel] Can we switch openChrome code to git repository?

Rafał Miłecki zajec5
Sat Aug 22 00:41:01 PDT 2009

W dniu 20 sierpnia 2009 17:31 u?ytkownik Jon Nettleton
<jon.nettleton at gmail.com> napisa?:
> We talked about this some months ago on the openchrome-devel mailing
> list and decided it was not worth it to make the change. ?Switching to
> git requires changing and updating track and various other things.
> You are free to use git--svn to mirror a local git repository that you
> can work off of.

I found some threads about fd/git, but not a one with serious
discission with (contr)arguments. Could you point me to archived
thread you mean?

2009/8/21 Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be>:
> Coreboot is not using git, it uses svn. Yet, i am working with git on
> the coreboot repos.
>
> Git-svn does work quite well. Check it out, you'll notice that it suits
> most of your needs.
>
> But sadly, some things are not supported by svn, like separate
> author/commiter tracking and such, so that information gets lost
> completely.

Well, if everyone encourage me to use git-svn (I think Thomas also
did), everyone can see positives of using git and we are still using
svn... something's wrong.

For now I would like to discuss switching *code*only. Let's think
about wiki/trac maybe later, in other topic.

Why I'm not 100% happy with git-svn:
1) It's not native
2) As mentioned, it looses some important data (commit's author!)
3) I don't have cgit web interface

What problems with moving code to git can you see? The only one I can
see is we can not link to git's commits in tickets anymore. Now we
could just type "r587" to link to
http://www.openchrome.org/trac/changeset/587 . Are there any other
problems?

--