[Openchrome-devel] VIA Chrome9 driver for non-x11 device

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu May 14 06:13:53 PDT 2009

Suresh Kannan Ayyakkannu, Chennai wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      Our embedded device has VIA Nano Processor and VIA Chrome9 HC IGP.
> We found that the openchrome.org has linux driver for VIA Chrome9 HC IGP
> and this driver is implemented based on the XFree86 Server design. We
> are not going to install X11 in our device. In this case, Can I use this
> open source driver?. Please provide your suggestion.

OpenChrome is an X11 driver, so you won't be able to use it w/o Xorg. If
you want to use the framebuffer, then you want to look at viafb which is
included in the linux kernel since 2.6.28 iirc.

Regards,
Xavier