[Openchrome-devel] Need for a new release before xorg 7.5

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Sun Oct 4 02:38:32 PDT 2009

Rafa? Mi?ecki wrote:
> 2009/10/3 Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org>:
>> X server 1.7 is out and xorg 7.5 will soon be out too. The 0.2.903
>> release of openchrome is more than 1 year old now and won't even build
>> against x server 1.7, as pointed out on xorg mailing list[1]. It's fixed
>> in trunk, but it would be nice to get a release out before xorg 7.5. I
>> took care of all the previous releases but I'm having less and less time
>> to spend on openchrome these days, and I'm not the one to fix bugs, as
>> you all know by now. I can try to gather a list of the most critical
>> bugs blocking a release, then do the grunt work to have a release out,
>> but I need developers to work on the blockers. In the worst case, I
>> think I'll just release trunk as is, and hope we'll don't get hurt by
>> too much regressions. After all, I've been feeding Fedora with trunk
>> snapshots for a long time now, and it's not that bad.
>> This mail is also somewhat a call to arms. Who's still around and have
>> time to dedicate to the project in general, and this release in particular ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Xavier
>>
>> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-October/047504.html
>
> NEWS:
>> Disable TMDS by default for now, output detection is not working properly.
>
> Could we "steal" detection code from VIA's driver? Does it do it any better?

May be, I don't really know. It's been a while I did not try the VIA
code. I'll try to give it a run asap.

> I would like to wait a few day more for potential answer for xgamma
> regression. Lets give reported some more time (up to 2 weeks?) to
> respond.

I'm afraid we don't have 2 weeks. xorg 7.5 is planned for next
friday/saturday, so if we want to be in the official katamari, we have
to meet this deadline. I knew xorg 7.5 was nearing since some time
already, I should really have posted this mail much earlier.

Anyway, I won't consider the xgamma bug to be a real show stopper, it
can still be worked on later.

X.