[Openchrome-devel] Testing kms_branch r941 on drm-openchrome kernel

Natanael Copa ncopa
Mon Aug 15 12:16:30 PDT 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:00:03 +0100 (BST)
James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I tested the kms_branch xorg driver drm-openchrome kernel and to my
> > big joy the X server started up!
>
> ;-) Do you run with modeset turned on or off?

With no params to modprobe, so with modeset off.

I tried again with r942 and I tried both now. With modeset=1 the screen
got black during boot til Xorg started up (as expected). I haven't
tried the viafb yet.

> > I would believe the "slowness" is related this pSrc is NULL as the
> > slowness comes in "waves" or how to express it.
>
> DRI is not functioning for newer hardware just yet. I plan to make
> that change very soon.

Nice! I really look forward. I noticed it is still slow so I disabled
the compositor in xfce.

Xorg.0.log show info about DRI and glxinfo shows that dri is enabled.

glxgears shows ~69 FPS (Software Rasterizer)

playing movies with mplayer works also pretty well.

This looks good!

Attached is the Xorg.0.log

> > Still, this is a big step forward!
> >
> > I attached the log (compressed so it hopefully don't get blocked by
> > mailing list)
> >
> > Again, thanks for the hard work!
> > -nc
>
> Better things to come :-)