[Openchrome-devel] Testing kms_branch r941 on drm-openchrome kernel

James Simmons jsimmons
Thu Aug 25 10:58:58 PDT 2011

> Hi, I?m having troubles with the openchromedriver in PcLinuxOS running on a HP Mini 2133 Netbook with this chipset (product:? VIA? CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC]).
>
> ?
>
> I can log in, have a desktop, but when I start VLC, everything works until I try to maximize the windows, then X crashes to the login prompt.
>
> ?
>
> I hope the current changes may cure this, but?

Most likely your distro image you are using has a old version of the xorg
driver. For normal usage grab it from trunk

svn co http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/trunk openchrome

and do a autogen.sh,configure --prefix=/usr;make;make install and restart
your xorg server.

> What is the meaning of KMS_branch? Is this usable for my chipset, or something special for other purposes? I see the most recent update is in that section and not in trunk.

The KMS branch is the next generation xorg driver for the VIA chipset.

> If it is ok to use (own risk, I know) how do I install this version?

Well its bleeding edge. Info is at

http://www.openchrome.org/trac/wiki/TtmGemKms

> I am not used to work with a CLI, and normally I don?t install outside the PCLinuxOS repository, so if you could give me the specific commands, I will try this and report back.

Sounds like the trunk version needs to be pushed ot the PCLinuxOS repo.