[Openchrome-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New register dumper

Mario Rugiero mrugiero
Mon Nov 14 17:44:42 PST 2011

2011/11/14 James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org>

> >              For the people who are brave enough to test the kms branch
> we just
> >       integrated Harald Welte's registers dumper. This useful tool will
> do a
> >       register dump of the Unichrome chipset for debugging purposes. To
> use it
> >       all one has to do is at build time add to ./configure
> --enable-viaregtool.
> >       The application via_regs_dump with be in the tools directory. You
> must be
> >       root to use the tool.
> >              The app is very easy to use and if you run it with --help
> it will
> >       tell you the options avialable. Generally for debugging a general
> dump,
> >       --dump, will be most useful. For mode setting test --mode and
> --pll wil
> >       provide the hardware settings we will need for debugging.

> > Is it useful for you if we send you our reg dumps?
>
> If you are having problem yes. If your setup is okay then you don't need
> to send me the info.
>
> > If it is, just tell me which information is useful and, in the case of
> functions that require arguments, how to get it, and I'll send mine.
>
> Once I get LVDS working on the DRM side I expect problems. We can come the
> UMS xorg driver to the kernel driver if we end up with problems.

Well, right now, the last KMS DDX driver gets me to a blinking X.org and a
completely unresponsive computer.
I installed the default Ubuntu's X.org driver to get it up, but if you tell
me exactly what you need me to do, I might get some logs and regdumps by
building it again and booting in console.