[Openchrome-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New register dumper

Mario Rugiero mrugiero
Mon Nov 14 17:47:05 PST 2011

2011/11/14 Mario Rugiero <mrugiero at gmail.com>

> 2011/11/14 James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org>
>

>> >              For the people who are brave enough to test the kms branch
>> we just
>> >       integrated Harald Welte's registers dumper. This useful tool will
>> do a
>> >       register dump of the Unichrome chipset for debugging purposes. To
>> use it
>> >       all one has to do is at build time add to ./configure
>> --enable-viaregtool.
>> >       The application via_regs_dump with be in the tools directory. You
>> must be
>> >       root to use the tool.
>> >              The app is very easy to use and if you run it with --help
>> it will
>> >       tell you the options avialable. Generally for debugging a general
>> dump,
>> >       --dump, will be most useful. For mode setting test --mode and
>> --pll wil
>> >       provide the hardware settings we will need for debugging.

>> > Is it useful for you if we send you our reg dumps?
>>
>> If you are having problem yes. If your setup is okay then you don't need
>> to send me the info.
>>
>> > If it is, just tell me which information is useful and, in the case of
>> functions that require arguments, how to get it, and I'll send mine.
>>
>> Once I get LVDS working on the DRM side I expect problems. We can come the
>> UMS xorg driver to the kernel driver if we end up with problems.
>>
> Well, right now, the last KMS DDX driver gets me to a blinking X.org and a
> completely unresponsive computer.
> I installed the default Ubuntu's X.org driver to get it up, but if you
> tell me exactly what you need me to do, I might get some logs and regdumps
> by building it again and booting in console.

As a side note, I had exactly the same results last week, after 30/10
changes. I didn't use the KMS driver again until 10/11, when it started
working again, and today's build gave me that bad results again.