[Openchrome-devel] xf86-video-openchrome: 2 commits - src/via_display.c src/via_lvds.c

Benno Schulenberg bensberg at justemail.net
Fri Apr 22 16:21:04 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016, at 05:56, Kevin Brace wrote:
> I think I rightfully earned the right to criticize the past developers
> from time to time especially if the code is egregiously bad, and this
> was such case.

First, what good does it do to criticize?  They are not there any more
to improve things.

Second, if you look at git blame -w of the src/via*.c files, you will find:

7853 lines blamed on James Simmons
7140 on Ivor
2087 on Thomas
1113 on Kevin
 812 on Benno
 793 on Xavier
 684 on Bartosz
 287 on Jon
 225 on Christian
and less than a hundred lines on a few other developers.

Almost all the code that is blamed on Ivor comes straight
from the VIA engineers, because Ivor did the initial import.
Anything that Xavier or I did was just janitorial stuff: the
reshuffling or rewrapping of some lines, the fixing of a tiny
bug, the adding or changing of some data in the table.

So that leaves James and Thomas as the major code contributors,
and Bartosz, Jon and Christian as the minor ones.  I suppose you
aren't criticizing the latter ones, so that leaves James, the VIA
engineers, and Thomas.  Right?

To go back to just the egregious example you mentioned, the lines
that you moved or deleted were blamed on Xavier, but if you trace
the history, you will find that 1) he applied a patch provided by
someone else, 2) he did the initial import of this file which came
from a code drop from VIA, as you can see in the copyright lines.
So again: any poorness that is there came from VIA.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                          unladen european swallow