[Openchrome-devel] xf86-video-openchrome: configure.ac src/via_sii164.c src/via_sii164.h

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Sat Aug 27 05:32:06 UTC 2016

Hi Luc,

> I do not think the SHS code adds that much, but thanks for acknowledging
> this. Some synapses tell me that i frowned over the vt1632 code years
> ago, but i had written off openchrome completely already then.

No problem.
I do not mind acknowledging your original work, but Christian did add some, so I am keeping the copyright portion he added.

> As for merging vt1632 with sii164, sii164 is _THE_ original DVI encoder.
> vt1632 is a direct and pin compatible clone.

I am aware of that. (I read both datasheets.)

> As for the unichrome code, when all is said and done, you will have
> proven that it would've been easier to add new hardware support to
> the highly clean and structured unichrome display code than the other
> way around. But never mind me, you're only proving me right on things i
> was stating (and was being naysaid on, and forked from) more than a
> decade ago.
>
> Luc Verhaegen.

Luc, I do not want to start an argument with you, but I will appreciate if you can gradually move on from the UniChrome / OpenChrome split incident from more than 10 years ago.
I am already aware of the history (You do not have to remind me over and over since I already know about it.), and furthermore, I was not involved with the split.
If I think about what you have written in the previous e-mail you sent to me and this one I am replying to, your tone of the e-mails sounded to me like you were accusing me of copying your code without acknowledging it.
First of all, I did not know that the code Christian Jung submitted was originally written by you since I have not studied your xf86-video-unichrome code.
This is the reason why I did not know about this until you alerted me and this mailing list.
You were right in doing so, but I was not too happy when you wrote, "If you are going to turn this into the unichrome driver with randr1.3 support, then you better properly acknowledge the original author."
Just to let you know, I do my own research and coding, and at this point, I have no plans to copy your code, verbatim.
That being said, I may have to study your code at some point, in order to improve CLE266 and KM400 support since you probably did a better job supporting those devices than OpenChrome developers did.
Of course, if I borrow your implementation, I will acknowledge it in the commit message or the source code.
So, please do not start alienating me since it appears that things are headed in that direction.

Regards,

Kevin Brace