[Openchrome-users] RGB TV Output on SP8000E

John Robinson john.robinson
Fri Dec 2 12:34:32 PST 2005

On 01/12/2005 16:15, Andreas Simon wrote:
[...]
> So I want to give the solution mentioned by Terry Barnaby in the "VIA
> Unichrome TV Output HowTO" a try. But therefore the driver must provide
> mode settings for interlaced operation.
>
> And my question is, if that is supported in meantime.

Not as far as I know, no. Even if it was, during boot-up and in the
console the TV would get driven with a VGA signal which might be
dangerous for your TV.

The TV output chips can drive RGB out, and I vaguely remember reading
about someone who modified their board to pick up that signal, but I
suspect even that option is only handled by the VIA proprietary drivers,
but you might be lucky.

I think it is possible to get (rather more expensive) powered S-Video ->
SCART adapters, which actually generate an RGB signal from an S-Video
one, and it's certainly possible to get outboard (S)VGA -> SCART TV
encoders, one of these may be your only option.

Cheers,

John.