[Openchrome-users] problems with via xvmc

Thomas Hellström unichrome
Tue Dec 6 23:22:06 PST 2005

userforum at openchrome.org wrote:

>Re: problems with via xvmc
>

>Myth uses it's own player as far as I know. I think it is based on Nuppel Video, I haven't gone into it though. I would hate to be spending your time trouble shooting a Myth problem, although I can play these files on the 'backend' system which has an Nvidia card.
>
>Here's my latest X log,

Hmm, that log is from a Nvidia card. Not from a Unichrome.

Anyway, this is the situation:
It seems like your player is creating an awful lot of surfaces and the
only XvMC capable player I know of that is able to do that is Xine. It
is possible, however, that Myth can do that as well. Nvidia restricts
the number of surfaces to 8, so most players only tries to allocate 8
surfaces. Xine optionally allocates 15.

When DRM has ran out of framebuffer memory, XvMC tries to steal more
memory from the pixmap cache. If you have been using X a lot there may
or may not be free memory available from the pixmap cache. If there is
not, you get the error messages you show from your log. If you are using
Xorg 6.9RC you might want to try EXA acceleration which has a different
framebuffer memory manager which is more "nice" to applications using XvMC.

So, basically, to help you, I need the correct log, and I need to know
which video player Myth is using.

Thomas