[Openchrome-users] problems with via xvmc

Thomas Hellström unichrome
Tue Dec 6 23:43:57 PST 2005

Thomas Hellstr?m wrote:

> userforum at openchrome.org wrote:
>
>> Re: problems with via xvmc
>>

>> Myth uses it's own player as far as I know. I think it is based on
>> Nuppel Video, I haven't gone into it though. I would hate to be
>> spending your time trouble shooting a Myth problem, although I can
>> play these files on the 'backend' system which has an Nvidia card.
>>
>> Here's my latest X log,
>>
> Hmm, that log is from a Nvidia card. Not from a Unichrome.
>
> Anyway, this is the situation:
> It seems like your player is creating an awful lot of surfaces and the
> only XvMC capable player I know of that is able to do that is Xine. It
> is possible, however, that Myth can do that as well. Nvidia restricts
> the number of surfaces to 8, so most players only tries to allocate 8
> surfaces. Xine optionally allocates 15.

Ah, After some googling it turns out that MythTVs player tries to
allocate 16 surfaces, and the memory manager can't simply cope with it,
since HDTV frames are quite big.

So you have two options:

1) Try EXA acceleration and see if it can squeeze in all 16 surfaces.
2) Bring the problem up on the myth mailing list.