[Openchrome-users] K8N800 64-bit

userforum@openchrome.org userforum
Mon Dec 12 20:55:13 PST 2005

Re: Re: K8N800 64-bit

> mobius:

> Tests for other features will have to wait for another day ...

EXA acceleration works and performs roughly the same with glxgears test.

xine also works fine. But, cpu usage is approximately 35% with dvd playback, which leaves the system with rather low responsiveness when doing other tasks, even with just editing in a console.

This is quite deceiving since I thought from VIA advertising that this IGP had a sort of hardware mpeg decoder. But, I know that even low performance microcontrollers used in set top boxes, with embedded mpeg decoder have a very low cpu usage. Ergo, I assume that what is taking place here is a kind of accelerated, mpeg software decoding. So I think that VIA advertising is at least confusing, if not misguiding for end users.

I'm wondering if other people have better performance ...

Regards