[Openchrome-users] HW compatibility check etc

Ivor Hewitt ivor
Tue Dec 13 21:12:49 PST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 18:49, userforum at openchrome.org wrote:
> HW compatibility check etc
> Hi guys,
>
>      I've got an Asus C3 box with an onboard VIA video chip that describes
> itself as
>
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623
> [Apollo CLE266] integrated CastleRock graphics (rev 03)
>
>      I've got the box hooked up to an NTSC TV and I'm running Ubuntu
> Breezy; I assume that the Xorg unichrome-based drivers are being used as I
> haven't changed anything.  I'm actually satisfied with how those work for
> the most part, but I'm wondering which driver Xorg will sync with next
> time.  Will it be openchrome or unichrome?  Anyway, I thought I'd check.
>
>      Also, while I realize an implementation might be a long ways off, I'm
> hoping that my chip will be supported if HW mpeg4 decoding happens.  The
> 800MHz Samuel-2 in the box doesn't quite have the juice to handle some
> video by itself.  266 + HW mpeg4 + TVOut = bliss.

The cle266 is mpeg2 only. The only chip that has mpeg4 is the cn400 unichrome
pro... although it seems that VIA has now dropped mpeg4 support from newer
unichrome-pro chipsets (cn700)... so who knows what they're thinking.

--
Ivor Hewitt.