[Openchrome-users] FreeBSD 5.4 Via Unichrome / CLE266 Xorg hardware mpeg decoding

Thomas Hellström unichrome
Sat Nov 26 20:58:03 PST 2005

Vincent The wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I hope I'm posting this to the right list, but after al the searching,
>reading and trying of all kinds of different supposedly working
>solutions I'm kind of lost.
>
>The situation: I have a motherboard with the Via Unichrome Integrated
>Graphics which should support hardware mpeg2 decoding, a feature I
>really need on this box. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 Release with xorg
>6.8.2 from ports.

First, you should try to compile and install the Openchrome DDX driver
and the XvMC libraries, and check that ordinary X is working with the DDX.

The via DRM (kernel module) is needed for both 3D and mpeg2 decoding. It
has recently been ported to FreeBSD. I don't know if it works and I
haven't heard any success stories. I don't know which FreeBSD version
you need, but please go and ask on the dri-devel list.
http://dri.sourceforge.net. Compile and install the DRM and check in the
X server log that XvMC is actually active.

Then you should be able to follow the normal procedures of compiling the
XvMC wrapper and patched mplayer.

/Thomas