[Openchrome-users] K8M800 SUSE RPM or compile

Xavier Bachelot xb_ml
Mon Nov 28 01:13:52 PST 2005

Immanuel Witschi wrote:
> Hi Xavier
>
> thanks for your answer! but I need a step to step manual to do it
> myself. I installed kernel sources and gcc-compiler, but I don't know
> how to build a X.org stack (if needed). I have pretty good commandline
> skills but I lack the deeper knowledge to know the way. It would help
> the guy with Suse 10.0 too, btw.
>
> any quarter hour left to give me a hand?
> Thankfully
>
> Immanuel

It will probably took more time than that, but here we go. It won't be
that hard if you already have CLI skills. Basically, a rpm .spec is a
shell recipe which unpack some sources, patch them, and then build them.

So you will need to :

1/ set up an rpmbuild environment
2/ get a xorg source rpm like
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/suse/src/xorg-x11-6.8.2-100.src.rpm
or a more recent version, if any.
3/ install the srpm in your build environment
4/ get xorg-6.9-rc2 tarball and drop it in the source dir of your rpm
build env
5/ modify the xorg .spec to build this version of xorg instead of the
6.8.2 version.
6/ launch the rpm build
7/ if you got the rpms, congrats. else fix the pbs then go to 6/

Happy rpm build learning and good luck :-)