[Openchrome-users] performance problems on EPIA M6000

Maarten Wisse Maarten.Wisse
Mon Nov 28 17:16:51 PST 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 16:24, tony wrote:
> Le lundi 28 novembre 2005 ? 14:00 +0100, Kim Bisgaard a ?crit :
> > I am using a EPIA M6000, and CPu usage went from 20-25% to 50-70% just
> > for playback! For live-tv forget it! And I get a lot of stutter if
> > anything happens on the machine daemons and the like. I will soon have
> > to throw that piece of expencive hw in the garbadge and by someting
> > better.
> >
> > Do you have any idea what takes up the extra time?? is it mythtv or
> > OpenChrome or kernel??
>
> I suspect that it is a kernel issue. From memory it cropped up after a
> kernel upgrade not after a *chrome upgrade. I use VDR and xine-VDR for
> live TV so there is slightly less CPU usage than when watching a DVD.
> I have seen much lower figures for a M8000, 70% seems to be a lot even
> for a M6000. I think you should be seeing 30-35% which is about twice
> what my M10000 gives me.
With VDR and Xine showing live tv, I have a cpu load of about 50%, but that is
witn EnableAGPDMA to false. With EnableAGPDMA to true, I have cpu load of
about 25%. Sadly, having it enabled causes stutter after channel switches, so
I leave it disabled.

My cpu is Samuel2 at 800 Mhz. My kernel is 2.6.13 with drm 2.7.0 and Xorg
drivers from CVS of about the time RC1 appeared.

Best,

Maarten Wisse