[Openchrome-users] TV Resolution problems

Steffen Schumacher steffen
Wed Apr 5 22:45:58 PDT 2006

Hi!

I'm not really too much familiar with either linux or PAL/NTSC stuff,
so please forgive me for ignoring the obvious..

I'm wan't to build a MythTV box using a via M10000(CLE266) and a PVR-150.

I seem to have several problems:
1. CPU problems when decoding 720x576 mpeg2 ( unscientific top says ~ 100% cpu )
2. Resolution - Using mode 720x576Noscale, the picture doesn't fit onto the screen?

I've pulished xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log at http://131.164.191.12/xorg.conf and
http://131.164.191.12/Xorg.0.log
I'm running FC4 with a recent 'yum -y update', so I should have pretty much
updated stuff in there I think..

1.
This is probably the most important. I think I should have enabled libVIAXvMC.
It should be enabled in mythtv and in xorg. (please look at xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log)
I'm missing some way to test if it is actually beeing utilized?
All I'm seeing in Xorg.0.log is (II) VIA(0): [XvMC] Initialized XvMC extension.

Should I do something other then simply enabling it in mythtv?

how can I test it?

2.
I think mythtv supports scaling the signal to a given size, so if i'm screwed,
I'll probably fall back to tweaking mythtv to only output to the visible parts
of the screen. However I've gotten the impression that scaling yeilds bad performance
and / or quality.
So I would like to be able to make all pixels visible on my screen to avoid this,
but I don't really know where to start?
If I use 640x480 resolution, it fits neatly.

I'll post the output of xdpyinfo and xvinfo to respectively:
http://131.164.191.12/xdpyinfo &
http://131.164.191.12/xvinfo

in about 3-4 hours (when I get home to the box ;o) )

Please ask me anything you need.

/Steffen