[Openchrome-users] mythtv freeze

Simon Kagstrom simon.kagstrom
Fri Apr 14 06:24:34 PDT 2006

At Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:00:49 +0200,
Simon Kagstrom wrote:
> > Hmm, ok I just tried reproducing this on a CN400 and a VM800 skipping back and
> > forwards in mythtv over and over, with no luck.
>
> I'll try the viaWaitVideoCommandFire change later today. For me, this
> occurs within seconds of skipping and only with XvMC enabled. Maybe
> it's a SP13000-specific problem?

I cleaned up the Xorg sources a few days ago, so I can't test this
right now (cannot compile openchrome).

> > [Daniel Smolik]:
> >
> > I have similar problem with my application that use mplayer with XvMC
> > accel. That application play video  in loop whole day. After aprox.
> > 2-3 day system freeze with similar messages. If I disable AGPDMA in
> > xorg.conf system works but cpu usage is 20%. I mean that this is HW
> > problem may be overheating MPEG engine.
>
> I'll try to disable AGPDMA as well and see what happens.

This I've tried, however. And after setting

        Option          "EnableAGPDMA" "false"

skipping forwards and backwards with the Via XvMC setting in MythTV
seems to work. Maybe the ring buffer (I guess for the DMA stuff)
initialized only with agpDMA in

   Bool VIADRIRingBufferInit(ScrnInfoPtr pScrn)

could be the problem if there is some interruption in the middle of an
ongoing DMA operation (i.e., user presses FF/rewind)? Is it possible
to flush the ring buffer when skipping? (Wild guesses).

I've heard that the Via boards have problems with DMA in general,
maybe this is just that problem showing again?

// Simon