[Openchrome-users] xvmc vs. xv mplayer

Chad masterclc
Tue Apr 25 14:49:12 PDT 2006

> xvmc won't speed up h264 playback.

So what are our options?  I knew that XvMC wouldn't be a choice, but
h264 is some sort of mpeg4 right?  So, any furthering on the mpeg4
acceleration in the openchrome drivers?  I'm not the brightest brick
in the shed (so dim in fact I cannot even get my analogies correct ;)
) but I can test things and tweak configs and and and... pretty much
anything and give good feedback about it's outcome.  I know linux
actually pretty well, just not a coder (though I can tweak a config,
.c, and a Makefile here and there if necessary).  Just looking for
something to test (P4M800CE and looking at grabbing a CN400).

> Yeah I haven't bothered updating it recently, unless someone else does it for
> you. Xine it probably a better choice, at least it works out straight from
> the tree.

I like xine too, but I generally prefer mplayer.  For me, it's a lot
easier to use to get it to do exactly what I want/expect.  Anyone got
a link so I can take a look at tweaking the patch or at the very least
examining it to see how I can fit it up to current mplayer?

> > I've seen posts on the internet advising people to go for Xine, but
> > since I am going to use mythtv, I don't think dropping Mplayer for Xine
> > is an option.
> >
> ? why not. there's no reason why you need to use mplayer in myth.

Definitely.  Rarely will you run into a situation in linux where
something is hard coded like that.  MythTV definitely allows you to
use any media player you want (and it's not limited to Xine or
Mplayer, VLC is a great option too) when playing video back.  If you
are playing back recordings, it's using mythtv's internal player, not
mplayer/xine/vlc or anything else modularly available.  Which, all the
more reason for me to want to get the mplayer patch updated ;)

Thanks for listening (reading in your head).

Chad