[Openchrome-users] xvmc vs. xv mplayer

Ivor Hewitt ivor
Tue Apr 25 21:35:32 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 22:49, Chad wrote:
> So what are our options? ?I knew that XvMC wouldn't be a choice, but
> h264 is some sort of mpeg4 right? ?So, any furthering on the mpeg4
> acceleration in the openchrome drivers?

no h264 requires a much more complex and advanced motion compensation
algorithm.... also without any documentation on the chipset it's hard to say
what support the unichrome-pro provides... although since VIA only provide
h263 in their binary driver it's a good guess that's all it can do.

The next version of the -pro (CN900 or whatever they decide to call it) is
supposed to have h264 although they dropped mpeg4 support completely from the
current line of unichromes (er CN700 or something probably).

> Anyone got
> a link so I can take a look at tweaking the patch or at the very least
> examining it to see how I can fit it up to current mplayer?

What link do you want? I expect the patch simply needs its configure logic
unbroken since that what's changed in mplayer recently.

> it's using mythtv's internal player, not
> mplayer/xine/vlc or anything else modularly available. ?Which, all the
> more reason for me to want to get the mplayer patch updated ;)

er yeah, it uses it's 'internal' player. Which supports xvmc-vld acceleration
it doesn't use mplayer.

--
Ivor Hewitt.